Dr. Mary Claire O’Brien is the Senior Associate Dean for Healthcare Education and a Professor of Emergency Medicine and Professor of Social Sciences and Health Policy at Wake Forest School of Medicine. She is also a mom, a mentor, a poet and a cat lady.
In her FIX18 talk, she shares rules, direct from her own kitchen table, that she has found effective for team leadership:
- No take backs.
- Embrace the differences in people’s experience, cognition, and motivation.
- Embrace the differences.
- If everyone is thinking the same thing, than someone is not thinking!
- Team members share a responsibility to express their opinions.
- The best leaders listen!
- The team wins or the team loses.
- Praise in public, criticize in private.
- Give credit and take blame.
- Thank people the way they want to be thanked.
- Gratitude is like glue to a team.
- Appreciation is not one-size-fits-all.
- Share your recipes!
Watch the full FI18 talk to get all the details!