Dr. Taira is the Director of Research for the Department of Emergency Medicine at Olive View-UCLA Medical Center. She is also the U.S. Director of Project SEMILLA, a volunteer group of emergency medical professionals whose mission is to improve emergency health care capacity in Latin America. She is an honorary professor of the national university of Nicaragua and lectures there regularly. Dr. Taira is the director of the section of International and Domestic Health Equity and Leadership (IDHEAL) of UCLA Emergency Medicine.
- Cardiac Emergencies (EKGs, POC Echo, ACS)
- Trauma and Critical Care (including Airway)
- Research (Methodology, Funding)
- Health Policy (Injury Prevention, Intimate Partner Violence, Public Health)
- Global Emergency Capacity Development, Social Emergency Medicine, Health Equity and Language Justice.